You can tell a lot about a civilization from its monuments. The Greeks built temples to the gods. The Romans constructed roads and aqueducts. The United States built railroads, skyscrapers, majestic post-office buildings and public libraries. Today, it builds temples of worship called football stadiums. This may not be the end of empire, but sometimes it feels that way.
Now that the college football season is over, perhaps we can objectively consider the question.
* The behavior of Penn State in covering up pedophilia, compared to the Catholic Church.
* The behavior of Penn State students when Joe Paterno was fired. Where do they find their moral values?
* The reverence Alabama fans have for the late “Bear” Bryant.
* The sense that Tim Tebow wins by the power of Jesus Christ, his personal Lord and Savior.
* The huge amounts of money donated by fans to universities to support athletics.
What do you think?